Thursday, March 13, 2008

Winter color still performing

I really like the way the ornamental kale (Brassica oleracea) looks alongside the pansies here.


Here is a close-up of the kale. Is this stuff really edible? That has to look stunning on a plate.


I will have to find more wasy to use foliage for color.

These are all growing near my little Texas Mountain Laurel, which I planted last year. It is now putting out its first flowers, making this little corner of my garden quite purple.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

I haven't done anything to these plants since they became established. I think the leaf mold compost that I added to the flowerbed might have a little something to do with their happiness in this location, as they have been growing (and blooming, in the case of the pansies) very steadily.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Nothing wrong with purple at all. I think some kinds of kale are edible, but there are some kinds that are just ornamental. You might need to check with someone to be sure the variety you have is edible.

Cooking it involves treating it a bit like cabbage..washing the leaves really well, and cook in a skillet with onions and garlic until it wilts down a little. I'm not sure the color stays purple. Often, under heat, the pretty leaves all turn green.

Mary Beth said...

Was visiting Houston last weekend - (and was blown away by the gorgeous azaleas!) But I also admired the ornamental kale and cabbage in many of the landscapes. Thanks for your pictures.

Christina said...

Yes, the azaleas do put on a wonderful show at this time of year. I do not have any in my garden yet, but it's just a matter of time!

Thanks for visiting!