Friday, March 21, 2008

Search: Viewing Bluebonnets in California

I posted before on bluebonnets growing in California. I got another Google-related hit, this time from someone in Texas, wanting to know where to go in California to see the lupines there.

Bluebonnets are commonly called Lupines in California, so if you are visiting from out of state, it is handy to know both names.

They grow prolifically in many open fields along the Central Coast, where I was raised. If you have never been there yourself, you may have seen portions of the region in films like The Ten Commandments (1923), The Rocketeer (1991), Of Mice and Men (1992), or Sideways (2004).

These flowers are also quite common in most other regions of the state.

There are also multiple varieties of lupines to see. The USDA plants database lists 165 species of Lupinus growing in North America. California is home to roughly 97 of these, so I will not be listing them all here. Have a look at the many listed species at the USDA Plants Database. Many of the species listed grow in California. You can click on the smaller maps for profiles of individual species, and each profile contains links to maps which highlight the counties in which each species grows.

The ones that I remember, which look the most like the bluebonnets of Texas can be found growing in many open fields in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties, as well as in other coastal counties in the state of California. I suggest the areas around Nipomo, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Arroyo Grande, Santa Ynez, and Lompoc.

I have also seen a paler variety growing in the sand dunes around Oso Flaco, a state park along the coast with gorgeous sand dunes, lakes, and nature walks. It is worth the visit, even without the lupines.

Lupines occur all over the state of California, so one need not confine herself to the central coast. However, as I have not spent as much time in the Northern regions or int he central valley, I cannot suggest specific areas. However, in any part of California the best way to see them is to hop in a car, and go for a pleasant drive in the country. When in doubt, ask the locals!

Incidentally, the Central Coast is also a great place for wine tasting!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I didn't know that "bluebonnets" were lupines - I'd never heard the name before. They grow wild in my part of British Columbia as well. There are places full of stunning fields of blue. Our local conservation society recommended them as a hardy, drought tolerant plant for our area (summers here are hot and very dry) so I planted a whole range of colours (I think the Russels hybrids) last spring. I can't wait to see them really get established and start blooming.

Christina said...

It took some conscious effort on my part to get used to calling them "bluebonnets" after I came to Texas. :)

I have attempted Russel Hybrids here as well. Last year, they were all eaten by caterpillars, while the native variety I planted was left nearly untouched.

I had better luck with the Russels this year, as many of them survived past the first months. However,I suspect I may have planted them a little too late to see any flowers this time. Maybe next year.

Unknown said...

They also grow on Catalina Island. I just saw a gorgeous photo of some growing on the hillside of the island.

J. J. said...

I just found your thread while researching these beautiful flowers I caught a glimpse of today. The hills were covered in them at Lopez Lake in Arroyo Grande, CA (San Luis Obispo County)