Monday, February 4, 2008

Playing in the dirt.

The ground finally dried out enough to allow me to plant the two muscadines I obtained at the fruit tree sale. I've been keeping them in mulch up till now. A few of the roots (but thankfully not all) did get a little dry on one of them, so I hope no permanent damage was done. Time will tell.

Either way, it was a perfect day for it. Warm, with just enough of a breeze to keep me from getting overheated, and ground that was moist enough that I could dig in it, but not so moist that my digging would damage the soil structure.

And I cannot overemphasize the usefulness of wheelbarrows when one is taking out grass and putting in even themost slightly raised of beds.

There is something wonderful about being tired, covered in smudges of dirt, looking at a brand new bed with fresh plants in it and thinking, "Yeah, I did that.".

No comments: