Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bauhinia variegata (Orchid Tree)




While out walking with my husband last December, I saw one of these (or something very similar) in someone's garden. I think I'm in love!


Photo by P. Shontelder. Click for photo source.


Why grow tropical flowers in a greenhouse when you can have them on trees?




Factoids:

Common Names: orchid tree, purple orchid tree, mountain ebony, poor man's orchid
Height: 20-40 ft (sometimes smaller if subjected to winter freezes)
Width: 10-20 ft
Spacing:
Habit: Tree
Nativity: Introduced to US from Asia (I have heard some say it is a Texas native)
Duration: Deciduous in freezing temperatures or winter drought
Flowers: Pink, variegated. Winter-Spring.
Light: Full sun-light shade
Moisture: Keep moist during summer months, water less frequently in winter. (Fortunately for us in southeast Texas, this happens quite naturally). Needs very good drainage.
Hardiness Zones: USDA 9-11, Sunset: 13,18-23
Propagation: Seed, cuttings, suckers (occasional)
Soil:


This tree is categorized as invasive and disruptive of native plant habitats in Florida, and should not be planted in that state.



Another tree with flowers resembling orchids is Texas native Chilopsis linearis (a.k.a. Desert Willow or Desert Catalpa), which, according to its USDA profile, likes the drier regions of West Texas. It has also been known to grow in other parts of Texas, including the Houston area, and in parts of California.


Bauhinia Variegata Links:
Floridata
Dave's Garden
Wikipedia
Desert-Tropicals.com
USDA Plants Database
Stanford University
University of Florida Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants

------------------------------------------------------------
Update: I have posted pictures of the actual specimen I saw. Maybe someone who knows more about this genus can tell me if they are the same species or not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a beautiful tree! I'm so envious.
Brenda Kula

Christina said...

Aren't they gorgeous? I'm determined to have one, if I can find a good spot for it.

And if I can find one at the nursery.

Puran Mewahang Rai said...

Nice picture of purple orchid tree (Bauhinia purpurea)