Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Mystery Plant

--------------------------------------------
Update: I e-mailed Betsy Dunphy at the Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac Information Center. She says it is not poison ivy (whew!) and looks like a type of bean, such as the Hyacinth Bean. Thanks, Betsy!
--------------------------------------------

There is no poison ivy in coastal California. Poison oak, yes. I can recognize that pretty easily.

Poison ivy is another matter. In the first place, I haven't grown up around it. In the second, there are so many subtle variations of it, and so many impostors.

So...I'm wondering What is this vine that I found sprouting up in my garden, and should I be afraid?


A close up of the leaves. Those two huge ones in the background are from the original sprout. That's the bark of a tree behind it.


Another shot.



1 comment:

Nancy said...

That really does look like hyacinth bean. Makes some kickass lavender/purple flowers, grows fast and I'm told, that the beans are actually edible. So far, I've just been planting mine.