Thursday, May 17, 2007

Bluebonnets

Bluebonnets (also known as Lupines in other parts of the country) are one of my favorite annual wildflowers. I planted some in my garden this year, but I did it fairly late in the season, having started the seeds indoors when most of the wild blooms were already appearing around town. They are growing much slower than I expected, and the random "volunteer" populations in the fields and empty lots around here are already dying back, while mine haven't even reached full height. Hm. That's the last time I follow what the package says about waiting till after the risk of freezing temperatures is past.

Better start those seeds earlier next time.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Try planting the bluebonnets in the fall. Then, if you allow them to set seed, they will establish themselves pretty well. They do prefer well drained soil though. That's why you often see them thickest on the hillsides or the highway embankments.

Welcome to Houston!!

Christina said...

Thanks! I think I'll do that. :)