Friday, May 11, 2007

Invasion of Bermudagrass...

This is what crab grass looks like when it goes to seed.

This is how bermuda grass looks.

This is what the UC Davis Integrated Pest Management Program says about how to tell the two apart:

The flowering stems of crabgrass are similar to those of bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon), but the spikelike branches on the flowering stems of bermudagrass originate at the same point whereas those on crabgrass originate about 1/8- to 1/4-inch apart at the end of the stem.

By the way, unless you live in an area where summer is the dry season (not the case here on the Gulf Coast), their advice for controlling bermuda grass may not be applicable to you.

This is what I have in my lawn:



And it's not going away, despite the fact that we used a lawn weedkiller/fertilizer treatment. I couldn't get any pictures of it going to seed, but when it does, it looks more like Bermuda grass than crab grass.

It's in my lawn and it's invading my flowerbeds. Ugh. I hate this stuff.



Even more interesting, this that I dug up today looks suspiciously like nut grass:



Goody goody. And I hear mulching does not slow it down.

Oh, yes, and after pulling this stuff up from my beds for weeks, I found out today that pulling is a bad idea. Whoops. :)

This is why it pays to look up weeds.

Nutgrass control information.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem with Bermuda and Nutsedge, I believe both types. You mentioned not to pull it up, which of the weeds shouldn't be pulled up.

Thanks

Christina said...

Nutsedge needs to be dug out. You need to get that nut-like bit at the bottom, and pulling generally leaves it stuck in the ground, where it will spread under the surface.

It's pretty near impossible to control Bermuda grass by pulling either, though.

Christina said...

Speaking of Bermuda grass, if St. Augustine is your turf of choice, many of our local gardening gurus here in the Houston area recommmend cutting your lawn with your lawnmower height adjusted as high as you can get it. This lets the St. Agustine grow higher and shade out the Bermuda Grass. Our naturally wet summers usually get our St. Augustine lawns to grow so well that they set the Bermuda grass back quite a lot.

Anonymous said...

We had good success last summer with "Image Kills Nutsedge" on a ton of purple nutsedge we had in our St Augustine lawn.
This year we have bermuda grass to contend with. sigh.

Unknown said...

I was told that my dog in the back yard caused the Bermuda invasion on Floritam (spelling?) grass. I'm having a hard time believing that. I live in SW FL...what is the best method to get rid of this stuff? Just cutting your grass higher?

Thank you for your help.

Christina said...

I suppose pets could spread Bermuda by spreading seeds somehow. It also spreads just under the surface of the soil, which makes it a real pain near flowerbeds., since it likes to take over open spaces. If your dog's urine has burned holes in your lawn, the Bermuda grass might have spread to those spots looking for an opportunity. That would mean that it was probably growing nearby somewhere already.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to eradicate the stuff completely, but there are ways to manage it. Cutting the lawn higher has helped to keep it back in my primarily St Augustine lawn (Floratam is a variety of St Augustine, by the way). My grass seems to go through annual cycles. The St. Augustine dies back a bit in winter freezes, and the Bermuda fills in a little in early spring. But, when summer temperatures and rains come back, the St. Augustine revives, and begins to crowd out the Bermuda again. I haven't heard of many one eliminating it except by completely replanting the lawn. (NOT happening!) Let's say that I have learned to peacefully coexist with it.

Good luck!