Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cherry of the Rio Grande (Eugenia aggregata)

This Brazilian native is not named for the Rio Grande river in the United States. :)



It produces an attractive red fruit, which has a flavor resembling cherries and raspberries at the same time. When I tried them myself, I found that they are a little on the tart side, which I like, but if you are into really sweet stuff, these may not be your thing. According to several sources I have read, the fruit is also useful as an ingredient in homemade jams and jellies.

The specimen pictured here is growing happily in my grandfather's yard in Southern California. According to the profile at DavesGarden.com, it also has been known to grow in Arizona, attesting to its tolerance for drought, and in Florida. Given that its native country is known for its tropical climate, it seems very likely that this species would grow in Texas as well.


I will be acquiring seeds soon from my grandfather's plant. We'll see how that goes. It takes about five years for these things to produce fruit--assuming I don't kill them first. :) More on that as it happens.

Links for more Info:

TradewindsFruit.com
Quisqualis.com (Includes pest info)


Read the rest ofmy Eugenia Aggregata posts.

4 comments:

sagehun said...

We ought to compare notes offline. We have a large, beautiful Eugenia aggregata, also in southern California, that we must transplant to make way for a building addition. I would like to know more about propagating the species from seeds.

Christina said...

I'm afraid I may not be much help to you there. My one attempt at propagating E. aggregata from seed was unsuccessful.

Since you are in California I suggest contacting or even visiting a member nursery of the California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG).

http://www.crfg.org/nurlist.html

Unknown said...

I am looking to buy a Eugenia aggregata plant, pls help i am in orange county CA.

purvi.sheth@gmail.com

Christina said...

Purvi,

I suggest you try one of the nurseries listed at the California Rare Fruit Growers website (link provided in my last comment).

Good luck!