Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fruity Madness

Yesterday was my first time at an Urban Harvest fruit tree sale. The stories are true. They have lots of trees, and LOTS of people. It was crowded, and the many people there were quite determined to get their trees, even to the point of pushing and shoving. I overheard at least two people saying that the plants they had picked up had been taken right out from under their noses.

I suppose when you get that many people in one place who are willing to stand outside in 40-something degree weather for over an hour just waiting for a tree sale to start, things are going to be pretty interesting.

It wasn't all rudeness though. Many of the customers took the madness in stride. The volunteers were very friendly and helpful, and I suspect that one of the ones that helped me out was Bob Randall himself, but I didn't want to ask him. The entire scene was surreal enough without me behaving like a garden groupie.

In any case, I am now the proud owner of a Saigo (Saijo?) persimmon, a Cloud Pomegranate, two muscadine vines, and a banana fig. Thanks to my husband, who assembled the wheelbarrow ahead of time, I was able to get that persimmon in the ground today. Now to get the others planted before the end of February! Woohoo!

No comments: