Thursday, October 25, 2007

Catnip as Mosquito Repellent?

I found an article from 2001 on ScienceDaily.com describing a study that suggested that Catnip oil works as a mosquito repellent--allegedly even better than DEET-based repellents.

My question... if you smell like catnip, what is your cat going to do? (Assuming your cat is one of the 50% of cats that react to the stuff).

Another article from 2002 on the same site discusses tomato-based repellents, which again appear to be more effective than DEET

I myself have tried using a lemon-Eucalyptus repellent when in the garden. It seems to work. At least, I haven't been bitten yet while using it. I can say it definitely smells better than DEET or Picaridin. (By the way, there is some kind of little biting gnat or something around here that responds better to DEET than to Picaridin, in my experience.) However, since the label does not say anything about its effectiveness on chiggers or ticks, I probably won't use it if I am going someplace where I should be concerned about either of those.

But, don't get too excited. Another 2002 study suggests that DEET is better than plant-based repellents.

Whatever.

I guess I'll just have to stick to what seems to work for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know about that gnat. I've tried Cutter Advanced, which has picaridin in it, and I don't smell anything. What do you smell? A little alcohol, maybe? But that goes away as it dries, in my experience. And no sliminess.

Christina said...

I do think the odor of Picaridin is much milder than DEET. I'm not sure exactly what to compare it to, as I don't think it quite smells like anything else. Just a chemical smell.

That's why I like the scent of the Lemon Eucalyptus stuff I tried over the summer. The scent is strong, but it's pleasant.

However, as my husband is allergic to Eucalyptus, I try not to use it if he is going to be close by and downwind!