Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cherimoya

Had a little discussion with my grandfather today about the two Cherimoya trees he has growing in his Southern California garden. He says he grew them from seeds he obtained from fruit purchased in a market.

It would seem that these may not be as hard to grow as some of my reading has led me to believe. I had heard that the only way to get these things to pollinate is to do it oneself.

Now, If I could just find someplace around here that sells cherimoyas, I could get myself some seeds and a little treat all in one!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I think you can find them at an HEB store (esp Central Market) or a Fiesta store. Either of those are good bets. If you can't find it at either, ask the produce manager at an HEB. They're remarkably responsive to requests.

Christina said...

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled in the produce department. I have seen dragonfruit at the HEB I often go to, but no cherimoyas yet.

Nancy said...

If you find some, let me know... I've had cherimoyas (I bought it in an HEB in a very small town at that) and enjoyed it.

Christina said...

They're probably one of the coolest fruits known to man. I have yet to try anything quite like them.