Sunday, August 19, 2007

Catnip bites the dust. Or the Gumbo. Whatever.

I planted some catnip (Nepeta cataria) outside last spring for two reasons:

One, to encourage our neighbor's free-range cat to frolic in our yard. She likes to hunt.

Two, to see what would happen.

Well the cat disappeared, and the catnip flourished for awhile, even in the black gumbo soil, growing at a dizzying rate. "Hot dog!" I thought. "And without soil amendments or a raised bed or anything!"

Then July came. Rains got heavier, sun got hotter, and the catnip started to look a little peaked.

Now it is definitely on its last legs. It is dying from the roots up, instead of from the top down, like plants usually die (and I've killed my share, believe me). I'm thinking root rot may be the primary culprit, but I'm sure the heat isn't helping.

It'll be raised beds or containers (and hopefully better luck) next time.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Try it in a pot next time, and put the pot somewhere you'll a) not forget to water it (as I've done) and b) where it can get some shade during the hottest part of the day.

In fact, a lot of plants that are full sun everywhere else, prefer some afternoon shade down here.

Good luck!

herself said...

In Massachusetts I had some growing. One of the neighborhood cats would leave me mice ( offerings to the catnip god I think ).

Winter came and along with winter came snow. One morning I woke to find a 2' deep hole in the snow outside my office window. My cat or the neighbor's or both had dug down two feet to reach the catnip through the snow. We're talking serious addiction problems.

Here I have some it is wretched looking but holding it's own right now.

Christina said...

Thanks,Nancy!


"Herself"... I knew cats can be desperate for their fix, but I had no idea they would dig through snow to get it!